Celebrating over 45 years of operations in North America, Toyota has been the number-one selling lift truck in the U.S. since 2002. Toyota Material Handling, U.S.A., Inc., based in Columbus, Ind., offers a full line of high-quality lift trucks sold under the Toyota brand. Built on a reputation of excellence, Toyota remains popular due to its quality, reliability and durability. Quality is the hallmark of Toyota’s world-renowned Toyota Production System practiced at all Toyota manufacturing facilities, including Toyota Industrial Equipment Mfg., Inc. (TIEM) in Columbus, Ind. Most of the Toyota lift trucks sold in North America are manufactured at TIEM.
All Toyota manufacturing plants in the U.S. and Canada comply with the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 14001 standard. TIEM has been honored numerous times for its environmental management systems and dedication to continuous improvement, and remains the first and only manufacturer to offer EPA and CARB-certified Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) powered lift trucks.
The Introduction of the Model LA 1-ton lift truck- Toyota’s first lift truck model.
Toyota establishes its first forklift dealership in the U.S. and sells its first lift truck in the U.S.
The 3-ton diesel lift truck used a specialized Toyota industrial engine, plus integral body frame and overhead guard.
Toyota’s 1st electric lift truck, the 3-ton series, helped reduce air pollution.
Toyota’s first U.S. built lift truck rolls off the line at the state-of-the art Toyota Industrial Equipment Manufacturing facility in Columbus, IN.
The Introduction of Toyota’s new 5-Series electric forklift line with revolutionary SIT controller.
The new 6-Series is introduced.
Toyota launches revolutionary 7-Series internal combustion lift trucks with its world’s first System of Active Stability (SAS).
Toyota becomes the first major lift truck manufacturer in the U.S. to offer AC technology.
Toyota becomes the #1 selling lift truck company in America.
CBT4 and CBT6 floor runner models are introduced. These highly maneuverable and ergonomically advanced sit-down electric tuggers are ideally suited for varying logistics applications.
The 8-series line produces 70% less smog- forming emissions than 2007 EPA standards and meets California’s 2010 emission standards in advance.
TMHU becomes the sole distributor of Aichi scissor lifts. Wheeled and crawler boom lifts in the U.S.
Toyota unveils its innovative new line of 8-Series 4-wheel AC electric lift trucks.
Toyota launches the new integrated scale on internal combustion cushion tire lift truck models and an industry exclusive scale-mounted fork positioner.
TMHU acquires the industrial equipment division of Toyota Canada Inc. effective October 1, 2011.
Toyota announces its walkie rider and three models of its AC electric pallet truck line available with a Galvanized Chassis option to protect the vehicles while operating in wet environments.
Toyota celebrates the ground breaking of the expansion of its Columbus, Ind. offices at its manufacturing facility, Toyota Industrial Equipment Mfg., Inc.
Toyota introduces its 8-Series large capacity lift truck line of cushion and pneumatic tire models powered by two new Toyota-designed and built 4-cylinder, high-performance engines. In addition, Toyot
The 8-Series launches two powerful Toyota engines—1KD diesel and 1FS gasoline/LPG—designed for industrial operation and built by Toyota Industries Corporation (TICO).
Total Solutions Provider
Toyota is committed to being a total solutions provider, offering customers the solutions they need for a diverse range of material handling needs. Numerous design advancements and industrial equipment solutions that have improved the material handling process and enhanced the end-user experience, include:
- Integrated Scale – The new Toyota legal-for-trade integrated scale* allows operators to simultaneously weigh and transport loads, resulting in increased efficiency and reduced logistics expenses. An industry exclusive scale-mounted fork positioner option allows operators to quickly and precisely position the forks without leaving their seat.
- Automated Guided Vehicles (AGVs) – Toyota’s AGVs offer customers several benefits, including higher productivity, continuous operation, reduced product damage, improved process flow and the reduction of non-value-added activity.
- Fleet Management – Toyota’s Fleet Management Solution goes beyond simple reporting to actually analyzing your fleet and making the right recommendations to deliver a lean fleet. This lean-thinking approach ensures customers receive optimal fleet performance at the lowest possible cost of ownership.
- Aichi Aerial Work Platforms – A diverse product line of scissor lifts, crawler and wheeled boom lifts are designed specifically to meet a wide range of indoor and outdoor needs. Aichi’s scissor lifts feature an industry-first AC drive system to provide leading performance with minimum service requirements.
Electrically Charged, Environmentally Driven
The future is electric. In an effort to help meet the growing demand for cleaner running electric lift trucks, Toyota recently introduced the 8-Series, 4-wheel AC-powered electric lift truck line. The AC-powered system is comprised of a series of subsystems – conserving energy and regenerating power to extend battery run time and maximize operational productivity between battery charges. With up to 21 percent faster travel speeds, the new 8-Series minimizes the performance gap with its internal combustion counterparts. Now customers can have the best of both worlds – a powerful and environmentally friendly lift truck made in Columbus, Ind.
Made in America with Pride
For more than 20 years, Toyota has been proud to provide our customers with high quality products built at the award-winning Toyota Industrial Equipment Mfg., Inc. (TIEM) facility based in Columbus, Ind. A zero-landfill facility, TIEM manufactures the majority of Toyota’s lift trucks sold in North America.
Industry-Leading Dealership Network
Toyota lift trucks are backed by proven product support from an industry-leading network of dealers who offer a broad range of resources including: factory-trained service technicians, Toyota Genuine Parts, Toyota Certified Used Equipment and flexible financing packages through Toyota Financial Services. A nationwide network of 73 authorized Toyota dealers with 224 locations work together to offer industry-leading sales, service and parts support to fulfill all of its customers’ material handling needs.
For more information on TMHU, please visit www.toyotaforklift.com, www.facebook.com/ToyotaForklift or twitter.com/ToyotaForklift or call 1-800-226-0009.
*Available on 4,000-5,000 lb. Toyota internal combustion, cushion tire lift truck models through the company's authorized network of dealers.
1. Source: United States Lift Truck Population: Industrial Truck Association, US Shipments Table, Electric Rider and Internal Combustion Engine included, Motorized Hand excluded; utilizing a 10 year lift truck life span.
2. Source: www.bls.gov Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries, 1999-2003