can be a smart financial decision, but it can be a costly one as well. Be sure to avoid these 5 mistakes when buying a used forklift:
- Buying without trying: Don’t ever buy a piece of used equipment without trying it first. Without starting up the forklift and driving it, you can’t be sure it has been properly maintained and is in goodworking condition. Always have a qualified individual check the potential unit out before making a decision.
- Thinking you’ll repair it later: Don’t get sucked into buying a piece of equipment that needs work. Oftentimes, the repairs end up being more costly than you thought they would be.
- Purchasing an “out of production model”. Purchasing a non-current design can make things difficult when it comes time to repair it. Replacement parts will not always be readily available for models no longer supported by the manufacturer.
- Not buying for your application-specific needs. “What am I planning on using this for?” “What will the environment be like?” “Will I use this indoors or outdoors?” What kind of space do I have to maneuver?” These are all questions should be investigated prior to making a purchase. Don’t just buy any used forklift, you may be very sorry if you did.
- Focusing on financing. Financing is not always the best choice when buying used. The value of the forklift may not validate the interest that will accrue. Look into what your cash-flow can absorb or look into the opportunity to purchase a rental (RPO).
If you buy smart when buying used, it could be the best thing you’ve ever done. However, if you don’t avoid these 5 mistakes, you could be in a lot of financial distress down the road.
For help figuring out if a used forklift
is right for you, contact your local Toyota forklift dealer.
Request A Quote or for pricing, parts & more, click here to find a dealer near you.